Friday, June 29, 2007

The Imperial Vice Presidency and Visual Narrative


Salon.com has a very telling piece by Sidney Blumenthal on the Cheney vice presidency. What was most interesting to me however was the photo (shown here) placed in the article. I’ve become increasingly interested in how photography and television imagery frame particular narratives. Oftentimes, an image imbedded in an article may have more influence than the actual text. This photo of Cheney here needs no explanation. If you are interested in the use of visual narratives, especially political analysis I recommend a wonderful blog, BAGnews, which is run by Dr. Michael Shaw.

Here is a sample of a very interesting comparative analysis of Hillary and Obama, which includes some feminist theory. Let me know what you think. Is there anyone here at SDU considering some sort of related research? I would be very interested in hearing from you.

I will be taking a course next semester, “Hollywood War Zone,” which will explore among other things, the use of visual narrative as Pentagon propaganda.